Sunday, June 15, 2008

Utah On My Mind

***WARNING--- This post will include a lot of pictures a wordy comentary--- You have been sufficiently warned***


Well, I have neglected you. I come before you now, humble and begging that you forgive my slothful ways. I have lists of excuses that I could lay before you, if I thought it would help. But I know, because you love me, you will continue to stalk my blog, even though I have left you hanging with a rather rude last post. Believe me, the last few weeks have flown by me, while seeming like an eternity to you, my blog regulars. I am even embarrassed to admit that I haven't frequented many blogs since losing my internet, flying across the country, buying food for empty cupboards, using only my husband's computer at night while sharing it with him, helping my dad move (although I really couldn't do a lot with two kids) and entertaining a five year old and one year old in a new place while daddy works late. But alas, I promised no excuses. Did I mention that our condo rental has a big screen TV and Satellite? Sometimes it takes me an hour just to figure out what to watch! OK NO MORE EXCUSES!

I want to start my very long post by thanking my sister, Molly, for flying out to NC to help me fly back to SLC with my two girls. But she did so much more. Like, she helped me retain my sanity which was on the brink of collapsing. She also helped me clean my house before we left (she is the fastest house cleaner in the world). She let me buy us matching DUKE shirts and she actually wore hers when I wore mine and the girls wore theirs... we were soooo cute. And she also let me convince her to read "Twilight" which she LOVED (as I knew she would) and is trying to get her hands on "New Moon"--- MMMUUUUUHHHAAAWWWWW!
So here's to my little Sis:

Molly after we picked her up at the airport in Durham

Molly with Iris on Duke Campus



Molly playing with Abby (she is so much more fun than me)


Abby and Iris entertaining each other on the plane to SLC



Now the flight to NC and to SLC were my sister's first flights in 12 years. Yep, that's before 9/11, before sandwich bag toiletries. And I have to say she did pretty well. She found her way through Denver Int'l by herself without an anxiety attack, and she weathered the turbulence from Phoenix to SLC (even after we had to switch planes with no promise of delivered luggage-- but I'll spare you those details). Abby was, as always, very helpful when she saw Aunt Molly gripping her seat tightly when she said, "Don't worry Aunt Molly, they just have to get through the wind and then it will be easy!". Abby is an expert flyer. The flights to SLC were also Iris' first, and she did really well too. So getting to SLC was a lot easier, especially with Molly there to help me.

And then we have our adventures since coming to SLC. We've been to the Zoo, storytime, a park and hiking, and we have had a blast. The girls have gone to bed late every night and woken up WAY TOO EARLY everyday. I met a friend from MC for the first time, and that was fun! Just a shout out to ACW!!! I've gone to Target at least 10 times since I got here (since it is just down the street and it has a grocery store). We also rode the TRAX and Frontrunner (that is a train for those of you not in the know) with my inlaws.

Abby and Iris at the Zoo

Iris and Mommy at the park (self-photo)

Abby playing a small part in an impromptu reading of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" at storytime. I don't mean to brag, but she is the cutest "three plums" EVER!


And in case you thought Nate had completely disappeared, here he is carrying Iris as we hiked Temple Quarry Trail. Just a side note, that pack I bought at a garage sale when Abby was little. We never used it. Inside the zipper compartment we found diapers that were at least ten years old (unused, thank goodness) and biter biscuits the same age. FUN FUN FUN!





So as you can see, we really are alive and well. We are missing our friends from NC, but are hoping they will look us up as they travel to and through Utah. And we will return to them, a little less hot than they are (temperature wise, of course). We will be crazier drivers for our time here also. And we will be ready to have some REAL southern hushpuppies and a cookout!


But until then. Here is the last picture for my Yoga friends who miss seeing me in strange Yoga poses or is it positions? It is me trying to teach my sister a pose that I learned from the Yoga Guru, Audrey.
May it sustain you until we meet again.


Keep tuning in for more Utah adventures. Who knows, maybe I'll learn how to make a good Green Jello Casserole after all!

14 comments:

turning about said...

Now you are a whole heck of a lot closer to us Ridgecrestites! Good luck with everything in Utah!!!

n8'swife said...

Finally!! You really can't go that long without updating again! What fun pictures. I love Iris's hair!

theloulie said...

It's about time!

Glad you made the move okay. Iris keeps getting bigger and cuter! We got surprises in our used child carrier too-people clean'em out.

Yoga looks fun...

OUR HOUSE said...

How long are you going to be in UT. We're planning a trip there the last two weeks of July. It would be great to get together if you're still there. On a more serious note, I was beginning to feel very neglected from your lack of posting. I forgive you this time, but I can't promise the same thing if it happens again.

the Mah said...

For a second, I thought you'd moved!And we haven't even gotten together yet!
Maybe after the summer, things will slow down and we can do lunch.

Jared,Tamara +Kylie Morgan said...

Shame, shame, SHAME on you for not blogging more. To make up for it we need to go hang out with some of the MC ladies and catch up! I'm very excited your out here for the summer.

Audrey said...

FINALLY!!!! I was getting weird twitches every time I checked your blog and found nothing new to humor me. Thank you...I've had my fix. As for the yoga poses....wooowyah!!!

Shelly said...

Such fun pictures!! Hope you are having a good time!!

The HousewifeTravels said...

Sounds exciting. Happy trails.

Kathleen said...

Welcome Back! Looks like fun, hope you are enjoying all being together again. Miss ya and your fam! Talk to you soon,
K

Nathan, Karen, Anna, and Austin said...

Oh how I missed you! I'm glas that you are having a good time in Utah. This was a fun post to read. Love the yoga poses.

kjha said...

I finally got a chance to read the saga...very fun and exciting! Glad your back, and remember you are only 10 hours from lots of fun and excitement!

Cami Jo said...

Glad to know the Whitlocks are alive and well. Utah is a strange foreign land, you never know what could happen there. We miss you and your adorable girls. My scrapbook misses you too. It has been neglected since you left. We're headed to Utah this week too.

Lupe said...

What fun adventures! Even getting to meet ACW!! Your sisters is a sweet heart to help you out!