Thursday, February 5, 2009

Very Stressful Week

If I ever needed a Dr. Pepper, it was this week. But I prevailed without succumbing to the temptation. I didn't even get a Diet Dr. Pepper. But I did end up buying dinner twice this week, sometimes you just can't help it. I won't bore you with details (I know, you are shocked since details are my thing). Suffice it to say that I have had one sick kid who is now on four different medications (not including ibuprofen) to get her breathing under control. The blessing there is that we have nebulizer treatments on hand and start them at the earliest onset of congestion. This, I believe, saved her from a trip to the hospital.

I have also been stressed because I live far away from my family, and there are times when I just need to hug them and reassure them of how much I love them. And it is stressful to know that people you love are hurting and there is absolutely nothing you can do for them. And it is stressful to know that things that seem so solid and concrete are actually unstable and vulnerable. Life is just messy sometimes. The blessing in this is knowing that there is a plan for us and that we can find solace and peace in our relationship with our Heavenly Father. It is also a blessing to know, that when things get hard, we are not in it alone. I have a fantastic family, who rally around each of us in our time of need. We are quick to say "I love you" and mean it. Of all the things my mom did wrong as a single parent, one of the things she did right was instill a sense of love and loyalty to one another. That, will remain far after she is gone. I hope to endow my children with this legacy.

In happy news, I just found out a very good friend is finally going to adopt the boy of her dreams. They have been fostering him for a couple of years. They have been waiting and waiting for the time when the courts decided what they already knew. So today, after a very lengthy fostering relationship and many delayed court hearings, his birth mother decided to relinquish rights which allows these wonderful people to skip all appeals, finalize this adoption and take that precious boy to the temple. Let this be an example to everyone that Heavenly Father answers prayers. Sometimes it takes a lot longer than we want, and sometimes we have to follow a rough, rough road, but those answers are there and they are the best blessings ever!

So I'll take this happy news after the week I had... and although it feels blasphemous to say it, this news is even better than a Dr. Pepper!

8 comments:

Rachel Harlin said...

We all have weeks like that, Amy! But, it's nearly over and you can start again! I'm impressed that you can find the good. Sometimes it's too easy just to see the bad. You're a great inspiration to me.

kjha said...

Sorry it's been hard...wish I could send a Dr. Pepper to you, even though I think it's some of the foulest stuff on earth! :) I'll just send out good vibes and wishes your way instead.

Tam said...

I think it's better than a Dr. Pepper too (and I'm a total addict)!!

I'm so sorry your family is hurting though. It is hard when we feel like we want to help and we are so far away. Hugs. .. you deserve one!

Nathan, Karen, Anna, and Austin said...

Messy. That's a good word for it. I gotta tell you, I really needed to read your post. It tugged on a heart string. Thanks!

n8'swife said...

Are you sure about the Dr Pepper!! I'm sorry Iris is having such a tough time! I to was so happy to hear Tam's wonderful news!

theloulie said...

I'm sorry for the hard times you've had this week. Sending you good wishes.

turning about said...

Sorry about the bad week. It is always nice when we are sent a little something good, especially when there are hard times. Here is to a better week. I love the news about your friend and am so glad that they will be able to adopted the child of their dreams!

BigDaddy said...

I've had friends in that situation with fostering kids and that really is exciting news. It's the good times we remember that help us get through the tough times.