Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A surprise moment of reflection

This morning, after the girls were awake, dressed and eating breakfast. After Abby's lunch and snack were packed and after I read the visiting teaching message. I sat at the table with the girls, Nate had just gotten up to do his dishes. I looked really closely at my girls, eating their breakfasts in silence and I thought how this is what life is supposed to be about. I wondered, as I ingrained this image in my memory, if it would be a memory to my girls too. It probably won't. It will probably be a while before they know how blessed they are to have each other, to have two parents who are devoted to each other and to them. They may never fully understand the blessing it is to have what they have now... a warm home to live in, a full belly as they are sent off to school, two parents who waited for them and wanted them so much. And I hope they never have to fully comprehend. I hope this morning's events, routine as they are, seem completely normal to them.

I think it struck me so hard this morning because I have been thinking a lot about my family, my home life and what it was like growing up. I will never regret going through the trials I did, even though they started for me when I was younger than Abby. But life was hard. I never knew this life that my girls enjoy. I never knew what marriage looked like, what quiet mornings around the table, each one with their own thoughts, but being there together. I never knew Family Home Evening, Scripture Study, Family Prayer... all these things that seem to drive the girls and us crazy. But what a blessing it is, to have it now. And what a blessing it is to offer this life to my girls.

Reflecting back on this quiet moment, as I realized how lucky my girls are, and how glad I am for that, it naturally led me to realize how lucky I am to have them. How tremendous they are. Their timing in my life and their constant love in my heart just keeps me going. So though they will never know how much this small moment means to me, I hope that we have many, many more. And I hope they continue to live it without the faintest idea that it isn't normal life, and I hope that I remember to focus on those quiet moments and take them in. Then I'll tuck them in my heart to take away a little more of the pain that was in there first. Truly this is a gift!

10 comments:

Dean said...

I have to say that speaking from experience on the child end, it will probably be when your girls leave for school that they truly realize how blessed they are to be in your family. Nevertheless, we DO realize and remember, and I am grateful everyday to have had the blessings of the family I did. Your girls are truly as blessed to have you as you are to have them.

Cindy said...

Before I had children I knew just what it was going to be like. We were going to dress in white, and run through fields of wheat in slow motion. It would be just like a shampoo commercial.

Obviously my reality was nothing like a shampoo commercial. Instead my first baby was really fussy and then really ill for a long time. Life was, and has continued to be, challenging.

But every now and then there are these moments that are so amazing. They usually come in the middle of regular activities but it's almost like time is frozen for a moment, and I can see how marvelous this all really is. I think that these moments are a blessing from God.

And I call them my shampoo commercial moments. ;)

Kathleen said...

Hmm Aahh (big breath in and out, that's what that was) very nice.

n8'swife said...

The blessings in our life amaze me everyday, thanks for the reminder.

Verity said...

Thanks for sharing this, Amy!!!

Anonymous said...

I had a moment like that the other day. We were at the park and I was just watching Porter running barefoot through the grass, singing a song with the sun shining on his little head. He doesn't have a care in the world--everything is so simple for him. And I just thought how much I want to keep it that way for as long as I possibly can.
It's the little things we really have to pay attention to. Thanks for reminding me of that!

The Coxes said...

Amy - thanks for the reminder about appreciating the small moments. I needed to hear that! Kendy :)

Jules said...

Great post, Amy. Thanks.

Rachel said...

I love how you share your thoughts! Those little "moments" are what keep us all going!

Lupe said...

A sweet reflection. I hope that picture stays with you.