Sunday, June 14, 2009

What a week!

I wish I was ready to give you a detailed account of the fun adventures the girls and I are having in Salt Lake. That would mean that I didn't just spend 7 days suffering from vertigo... again! But I promise I won't go into detail on that either. I got sick last Sunday after feeling dizzy on and off for a week or so. I don't know why I got vertigo again, and I don't know why the symptoms didn't respond to the same medication as before, and I don't know why it has taken so long to feel good enough to even blog. But today I woke up dizzy-free and I'm more humbled and grateful than ever.

Getting a debilitating illness 2000 miles from home is very scary. I've had to depend a tremendous amount on friends and family. This is something I try to avoid, for those who know me, as I like to be the dependable one. But sometimes, we just need help. And there are so many good people in our lives who are willing to offer that help. So I wanted to take this opportunity to thank those who have helped me.

My good friend Lori! How grateful I am to you for picking up my girls so early in my illness and taking them for the WHOLE day with you. I had such high hopes that we could spend our time in Utah catching up while the kids played at the park. But you have NEVER failed to be there for me when I needed you. And I am tears while typing how much your service this week means to me, especially since you had so many other things on your mind. So thank you!

To my dad who took an afternoon off and sat with me and talked to me so I didn't have to be alone. I am so grateful for your attention and concern and yes even nagging so that I could do what I needed to to feel better. And Kathi, thanks for your words of advice on getting a blessing and no doubt your prayers.

To my Aunt Ruth who also spent a day with me and the girls on my most difficult day of the illness. Thanks for listening to me go on and on about things in my life. You are the best listener. Though we should keep in touch better, it is always nice to know that you are there and we can pick up right where we left off. And thanks for making us dinner... I never had ground turkey that tasted so good!

To Heidi, who dedicated a whole day to me and the girls. Took them to the park, out to lunch and played with them. I am so grateful to you for helping me. That day means the world to me, and I'm also glad that my girls know you now. And thanks, in advance for the dinner you are bringing over tonight.

Thank you to Homer and Heidi's husband, Matt, for the wonderful priesthood blessing of comfort and healing. Thanks for coming so quickly at my call and giving me a spirit of peace that helped me heal. And thanks to Adele for always being my corner of empathetic support and love. I am so grateful you could come and help me in my desperate hour, and that you completely understood how I felt.

Thank you to my sister, who traveled several hours after a frantic call from me to spend the weekend with me. You do not know how much I needed you here. Even if I couldn't do much but sit on my butt, I felt tremendous relief that you came. And the girls adore you so much. I won't even resent all the spoiling you did to them, and I promise not to cringe when they ask to ride the carousel a second time with, "But Molly let us!" You truly helped me feel much better.

And thank you, mom for helping Molly get here. I know you would have loved to come yourself. But I'm glad you are taking care of you. Thank you for your concern and advice and helping me pursue what is going on. I know that you are worried about me, and believe me, I am extremely worried about myself too. But I'm tough, like you and will get through this.

To the many friends and family who have sent me well wishes and prayers... I have felt your love so fully this week.

Last but certainly most, I'd like to thank Nate. He is the most awesome husband in the world, and he's all mine. He has held my hand to steady me, the bowl to catch my... um... nausea, and he has held my heart this week so tightly. I really don't know what I would do without him. He has cooked more, cleaned more and done more laundry than he probably ever wants to do. He has bathed the girls, read them scriptures, tucked them in and then turned his attention to me. He has not uttered a word of complaint, but just a lot of sympathy. He knows how it tortures me to have to make him do those things I long to do... and I can't wait to show my appreciation.

What I have in my life is far beyond what I imagined I would or even think I am worthy to have. I have loyal friends and family who are there for me no matter what. Vertigo is a very hard thing to go through once. It is tremendously messed up to have to go through it again, but with every trial, there is a way to overcome. We are not asked to do it alone. So thank you to everyone who has helped me. I hope this day is the beginning of a lot of healing; physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. It is through others that God shares His love for us.

Thank you!

9 comments:

turning about said...

Sorry that you had to go through that again. Hope you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you've had a good support system up around you--I wish I could have been there!
But I watched Twilight in your honor today--does that count as long-distance support? :)
Love ya!

Englebright said...

Oh, NO!! That is awful! I hope you are feeling better!

n8'swife said...

I wish we lived closer and could help. I'm glad you had people there willing and able to help.

theloulie said...

Wish I could've helped but glad that you had people you could lean on. I hope you never have to go through that again.

ooooo said...

Of all the luck. I hope you get better.

Larissa said...

When it rains it pours huh? I'm so sorry you're dealing with it again. I hope all these crazy trials will leave you alone for the rest of the summer!

Bev said...

Hi Amy! Sorry we missed you while you were here and then I didn't even know what was going on. I'm usually out of the loop anyway but my internet has been down for 2 1/2 weeks so it's worse than usual. We're looking forward to seeing you guys over the 4th! Give Nate & your girls a hug from me! Love, Bev

Cami Jo said...

Amy! Sorry you were so dogged sick again. I would have been there to take your kids or catch your nausea or whatever. Remember that! I'm glad you're feeling better again. I miss you all.