I was born of goodly parents--oh wait, that wasn't me, that was Nephi--Let's start over. I was born of fairly good parents who already had as many boys as they could stand. So I was quite a blessing to them, obviously! They doted on my by dressing me in frilly dresses and putting bows in my cute blond locks. And through all this attention, I maintained a style of my own. One of my mom's favorite stories to tell is of the time when she dressed me in a beautiful, frilly dress for some occasion (apparently the occasion is a mystery). She got busy doing other things and I went about some toddler business. When it was time to go, she called to me. And there I came, walking down the street as frilly as before, not one hair on my head disheveled, the only alteration to the ensemble was my cowboy boots. I guess I really loved those cowboy boots. I wore then a lot. I'm sure that I was very cute in my frilly clothes and cowboy boots.
That gives you a little idea of my blossoming independence. Now I am blessed with girls of a similar disposition. Life has a way of coming full circle. My mom must have possessed an unreal amount of patience. Or she could have just been possessed.
As my parents' first daughter, I stole my dad's heart. I kind of think he favored me for the first three years of my life. Once my sister came, that all changed. But, luckily, I've worked through my bitterness and LOVE having a baby sister. But anyway, I think I got pretty much whatever I wanted from my dad while he lived with us. And to hear my mom tell this story, I know that he was the defender of my esteem at that young age. Yes when others would try to label me with adjectives, I knew that I wasn't what they said because of my dad. Another of my mom's favorite stories to tell is when she would say (probably in response to my insistence on wearing cowboy boots), "You are such a scallywag". And I would say, "My dad say I not a scallywag!" Thanks Dad! Of all the things I've done in my life I hope I have lived up to your good opinion of me back then!
Once I got to elementary school, I depended heavily on the protection of my older brothers. Jeff is 7 years older than me, Sean is 2 years older and Cameron is 1 year older. In fact, I came at the end of a very long pregnancy kick my mom was on. With Sean born in March of 74, Cameron in February of 75 (that's right they are 11 months apart), and me making my appearance 15 months later in May of 76, my mom was quite tired. But it served me well to have brothers so close in age during playground and neighborhood fights and such. Of course, my brothers trained me to be a good fighter by beating me up repeatedly and sitting on my head while they farted. I could never repay them for the lifetime of experience I had in the few short years leading to school. WOW!! I could wrestle, punch, kick and pull hair like none other. Coincidentally I had a lot of friends. Looking back now, perhaps they were afraid of me. I don't know why, though. I never beat up my friends. I did beat up the neighborhood kid once with the cast on my broken arm because he threw my coat into a tree. It was a brand new coat and he got it all dirty. I ask you... what else is a girl to do?
Okay, so I don't know that I'm painting the picture of me that I want to. Just trust me that besides the fighting, I really was a sweet kid who worked hard in school and never caused anyone (who wasn't asking for it) trouble. Honest!
My sister came along to everyone's surprise. Boy did we fight! I think I prided myself on how cruel I could be to her. She endured it well. I'm sure any emotional problems she might have now have NOTHING to do with me. We really were close, even with all the bickering and fighting. She swears I was mad when she got a bigger toy truck than me. I think she is nuts. She has sure grown into a beautiful, wonderful woman. She's smart and caring and everything else good. She makes some pretty babies too. And she has perfect hair and skin and...But this isn't about her, is it? It's about ME!! Why won't anyone look at me? Molly, Molly, Molly! (in my best Jan Brady voice). Just kidding! Love ya, Molly.
Junior High was torture for me. We moved to a new area and I had to go to school with a bunch of people I didn't know. So I entered my shy, socially awkward phase. I concentrated on school work, violin and babysitting. I was a no one... completely invisible, but I kind of liked that. I did have a boyfriend in 8th grade. We broke up. Then in 9th grade, we went out again. He moved. I was sad. That about sums it up. But I did receive one of my greatest accomplishments in Junior High. I had an award named after me for being the all around best student in the orchestra. It was based on grades and participation in orchestra. I beat out some girl... Kerry was her name I think. It was cool. So, there is a plaque in my old Junior High School with my name not only as the first recipient of this award but as the title of the award. Pretty cool...huh?
High School was a little less insignificant. I had more friends, got a job at Little Caesars, got my first car, you know the typical things. I named my car (a 1979 Monte Carlo), "Loveshack" and not because of what you are thinking--- jeesh. It's named Loveshack because, "it's as big as a whale and its about to set sail." (song by B52s). I kept up my straight A's too, even if I had to stalk my 10th grade English teacher in the middle of the summer to change my B to an A after I found the paper she said was "missing". It even had her marks on it. Boy I remember thinking my life was over and calling my mom crying about getting a B! WHAT A LOSER!! Seriously! I looked something like this in high school:
No wonder I had no life!College was a journey I would take again in a heartbeat. College is when I really learned what life was about. I allowed myself some immature decisions early on, and it didn't take me long to realize that I didn't want decisions like that dictating my future. When I changed my life, embraced the Gospel of Jesus Christ and found my eternal love and companion, my life had never been sweeter. With a degree in Chemistry, a move to California and the beginning of a fresh and sweet marriage, I jumped into the next phase of life-- adulthood-- with both feet and I've never looked back. And in that phase most of you met me.
Obviously there is so much more I can write about my life experiences. Some of them I've shared with you and some I've had to drudge through on my own. Some of the most profound moments of my life, that made me who I am, were not pleasant. Some I've taken years to get over and some I'm still waiting to deal with. But as I look at my life now, and see the person I am, and recognize the influences that have gotten me here, I couldn't have written a better story myself. So looking back on 32 years (of course, I'm not enough of a freak to actually remember all 32 years), I'd say I had a good life. I had people who loved me, believed in me and extended such patience with me that I know I am who I am because of them.
Thanks for reading. Now go kiss those you love and thank them for the life you have. Remember that those in our lives are significant because without them, we would cease to be who we are. And existing is everything!
I want to give a shout out to my neighbor, Donna, for bringing me my first of two birthday cakes! Thanks to Rachel for the nice soaps and vinyl lettering stuff. Thanks to my mom for helping my fashion retardation with new clothes. Thanks to Cami and Matt for dinner, my second birthday cake, Dr. Pepper, truffles and the bowling game. Thanks to those who sent cards, gift cards and other birthday wishes. But a special thanks to my dear husband, Nate, who gave me just what I asked for (THE TWILIGHT SERIES!!!! YAY!!!!!), even though you didn't understand why I'd want books I already read. I am truly blessed!


13 comments:
Nice story, It sounds like someone I know, oh wait that's you! I hope you had a great day!!
BTW, I just finished Poison Study and Magic Study and have Fire Study reserved at the library!!
Happy Birthday! And in the immortal words of Forest Gump, "that's all I have to say about that". (Sorry, I just watched Forest Gump)
Happy Birthday AMy!
I know it doesn't count that I remembered your birthday when I'm far away, but pretend it does, K? I love reading your story, and am thankful for the experiences that have made you who you are.
Love ya!
K
Amy! You crack me up! We used to have a car we would sing "loveshack" to b/c it was "as big as a whale and it's about to set sail." I'm glad you had a good b-day. We'd spend it with you anytime! (but hopefully that deadbeat husband won't leave you again on your birthday--just kidding Nate!)
Happy Birthday-ok I am a totally lame friend to find out on your blog and on facebook that your birthday was yesterday. Sorry, but I love you anyway and I am so glad you shared your story. I LOVE your high school picture. It looks a lot like mine...in fact I swear I had the same dress.
Happy Birthday! Love the glasses!
Happy Birthday! I loved reading about your life! You have a great writing style so that I can hear you saying what you're writing. Very cool!
This was so fun to read, Amy! Thanks! And HAPPY B-DAY!
I am not sure if the last comment went through. So, once again...
I loved reading all about you. Thanks for sharing :) I hope your birthday was a happy one.
Happy Bday! I hope it was fantastic.
What a great post! You're so funny! You're friends are so lucky to have you! Happy Birthday!
Hope you had a great day!!! Miss you!!!
You are SO FUNNY! I am going to love reading this blog... :) I hope you don't mind me adding it as a link on mine!
Post a Comment