Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Little-Big Abby

So Abby is 6 and very big. She goes to school, does her homework, and rides the bus home. She can read, write and takes a spelling test every Friday. She helps her little sister with her shoes, ties her own shoes, and helps carry groceries in the house. When did this happen? When did my first baby, who needed me so much and taught me how much I needed, become a big girl? My first instincts are to keep her home and not let her grow up, but I quickly got over that and am using her new found abilities to my advantage:





Introducing Abby's Big Girl Jobs! She is required daily to make her bed, do her homework, sweep under the table, clear the stairs and put her toys away. Once a week she has to clean her room, and clean both the downstairs bathroom (it's a powder room) and clean her bathroom. And for all this hard work, she gets the satisfaction of being a big girl!!! Just kidding, we are giving her an allowance of $6 a month. It may seem like slave labor, but don't call the authorities yet... we've also enrolled her in a big girl after school activity.

Presenting my little ballerina!




Here is a little conversation I had with Abby about Ballet:

Me: We are signing you up for ballet today.
Abby: What am I going to wear?
Me: Aunt Molly sent you a leotard.
Abby: Are we going to get me some shoes, and a tutu?
Me: We'll get you shoes, but you don't need a tutu.
Abby: But moooooooom, EVERYONE knows you need a tutu for ballet.
Me: I looked up their website and they said you don't need a tutu.
Abby: But mom, everyone knows that you need a tutu for ballet.
Me: I promise Abby you won't need a tutu. But you can ask the lady when we get there.

So I don't keep you in suspense and if you didn't notice the pictures, the lady said she didn't need a tutu.

So my little girl is growing up, experiencing life, and one step closer to leaving me behind. But sometimes, when she cuddles with me, and we read her school books and talk about her day, I get that glimpse of the little girl she will always be.

I love you my little sunshine!

12 comments:

M&EMS said...

That makes me excited to have Sydney turn 6, oh wait she isn't 5 yet, BUT to help clean like that where do I sign up?

theloulie said...

I'd like to get my ds to do more jobs, but I don't think he'd be as responsible as Abby. Go Girl! It's nice that they can do more as they grow up, but you miss those babies, huh.

kjha said...

Ahhh...I was tearing up! Isn't it nice to finally get a little help around the house!?

Kim said...

Hi Amy! I found your blog through Rachel's blog. I've been trying to convince Ricky that kids can be great workers. Have a few and you don't need to hire a maid. Thanks for the ammo. Kim Fielding

Rachel Harlin said...

They grow up so fast, don't they! I have one in the same boat and while it's exciting and fun, it's a little devastating!

n8'swife said...

Get that girl a tutu!!

Can she come and train Benjamin please!

loricjensen said...

Amy, you kill me. Especially since you got pictures. I was wondering how to get Casper to work more around the house. We've been using Chuck e Cheese coins...nothing like cold hard cash, though. I love her leotard!

Anonymous said...

I always find your blog, then lose it again...I'll be stalking (actually, I don't stalk, I always leave a comment) from now on. I'm all about the child labor/chores...My biggest problem is trying to push the OCD aside when they aren't doing it "my way"

turning about said...

I love that my big boys are able to help around the house a little too, but I sure miss when they were little, time goes by way to fast. Cherish the moments, eh!

Nathan, Karen, Anna, and Austin said...

This makes me smile. She's growing up so fast and I bet you LOVE having her help around the house.

jeremyandleslie said...

She looks adorable! I always wanted a tutu in ballet class as well. You should make her a tutu for Christmas - I'm making emmy one.
Too bad you live so far away - my floors need vacuuming right now...

Audrey said...

Those are great photos, I love how proud she looks as she is cleaning. You had me laughing and crying at the same time.