Thursday, October 2, 2008

"Patience is a Virtue"

I'm forewarning you all that this is very wordy.

I was at Target today getting things for an activity at church, and I decided right then that I wanted some chocolate (I think it's menstrual-- sorry to any male readers including my husband, who is a male, so again, sorry to any male readers)... ANYWAY my favorite chocolate is Dove chocolates so I bought a bag. I got all the way through the check out and to the car before I opened them! And the following are the messages that they wrapped over this delectable treat(with my comments in italics):

Wrapper 1: "Share a chocolate moment with a friend"
I am my own best friend right now!

Wrapper 2: "Put your feet up and unwind"
I can't really do that since I'm driving... but that would be interesting!

Wrapper 3: "Patience is a Virtue"
If I had any patience, or self control for that matter, I wouldn't be on my third chocolate!

Wrapper 4: "Too much of a good thing is wonderful"
Okay... twist my arm!

Wrapper 5Come on... it said too much is a good thing: "Life is all about making memories"
The best way to memorialize these chocolate moments is to post them on my blog!

So there you have it, I ate 5 Dove chocolates today and they were GOOD! Now why I needed chocolates and why I'm not virtuous yet, but that much closer since I had to exercise extreme patience today. Today was the day to get Iris' Social Security Card. When your children are adopted, you have to apply for a new card AFTER you receive their birth certificate. We got this last week and today was the first day I could go. I HATE going to the SS office. Even if you get there when they open, there are a bunch of people ahead of you, they don't call you in order, and they almost ALWAYS tell you that you need more information.

I got there at 9:15am (they open at 9) and I had to check in. I had four options to choose (this is how they give you a number, it depends on why you are there). 1-- appointment--NOPE 2--Applying for SS benefits--NOPE 3--New SS card AND non-citizen--NOPE 4--All other matters. So I picked 4. And I waited... waited... waited. Iris was not cooperative. They won't allow drinks or snacks so she threw a fit when I denied her that. She wanted to read every pamphlet they had and eventually she fell off the chair and cut her lip. THAT WAS FUN! Have I mentioned before that Iris can SCREAM? Well she did and she just kept screaming and screaming and screaming. I cheated and offered her water. That helped. Eventually they called our number (like after an hour) and I found out I was waiting in the WRONG QUEUE. That's right. I pushed the wrong button. Don't know what I missed, but I missed something. So I go to a new window and she says, "I need another identifying document". UMMM NO YOU DON'T. Let me tell you by then I had had it. It was clear on their website information and the sheet she gave me they could take a birth certificate and adoption decree, but now she is saying because Iris is adopted they need something else. Luckily, I brought her blessing certificate. She tried to tell me that wouldn't work and I pointed out that their list says religious certificates. Guess who won?!? ME!! YAY and then they promptly (after sitting there for 15 minutes) processed the application.

THAT'S WHY I NEEDED CHOCOLATE!! IF I HAD TO GO HOME AND COME BACK I WOULD HAVE NEEDED TO EAT A WHOLE COW!

Now for promised updates:
Iris first. Iris falls down a lot. I can't explain it and no matter how hard I try, I can't prevent it. She walks on a straight, even floor and trips. She has bruises on her shins, arms, back, head, she's cut her lip numerous times and I just don't know what to do. My friend Rachel suggested a helmet. I'm not far from that plan. Just Tuesday as I was leaving a store, she would not take my hand so I walked ahead through the doors. My friend, Audge said, Oh no and I turned around to see Iris face plant between the sliding doors that were closing. Audge bravely stepped in front of the sensor before Iris got squished. Yep she got a nice goose egg bump on her eye from that one. I swear someone will report me for child abuse and there won't be enough Dove chocolate to make that go away!

In other Iris news, Iris has suffered 4-5 dislocated elbows on her left arm since the end of summer (this isn't helping our child abuse issues). So her doctor was concerned enough to refer us to an orthopedic doctor. We took her yesterday for X-rays, and she is just fine. He said it happens a lot at this age, and there isn't any damage to the joint or the bones that he can see. We just have to keep being careful not to pull her left arm and to hold her right hand. I don't even want to think about what that will cost, but I'm so glad she is okay and doesn't need more treatment. Iris also got sick a couple of weeks ago and has been doing breathing treatments. I suspect we will be doing these often as cold and flu season approaches. Thank goodness she is a good sport and actually enjoys doing her treatments. She is a big girl and holds the mask herself!

Abby news. Well there isn't much to update. She is still six, smart, sassy and squirrelly! She likes ballet and she is learning some moves. She just needs to remember to pay attention! She says she doesn't like her new school, but I think it is more that she doesn't like 1st grade. Who would? It isn't as fun as kindergarten and she actually has to LEARN stuff this year. But she goes every day and eats her lunch and does her homework and she is leaving sticks alone. Let me explain that last one. She got a bad behavior report sent home saying she was hitting a kid in the head with a stick (now I'm sure if the kid was a boy, he most likely deserved it, but I would NEVER say that to her). So she is NEVER allowed to play with sticks again and if she gets another bad behavior report sent home she loses her allowance.

Abby is doing her chores and just got paid for the first time. She's done pretty well with the responsibility and has the routine down to a quick science. Abby has lots of friends in the neighborhood and enjoys spending evenings outside playing with them. She also really loves her daddy's brownies.

Nate's news. Nate is still interviewing for a summer internship. He went to NY the other day (not top on my list, but an opportunity nonetheless). It was a quick trip up and back in one day. On the way home his plane was delayed for an hour while the President's plane landed. Here is a shot from Nate's window of Air Force One.



Nate is heading to SLC for interviews in a couple of weeks. He is planning on staying with his Grandpa Paulsen. Grandpa Paulsen isn't doing well right now and is having a colonoscopy today. Any prayers on his behalf and those of Nate's mom would be appreciated. He is a good man who is 92 and we all love him a lot.

My news. Well I ran 1.5 miles straight in 20 minutes a few weeks ago. Since I started teaching aerobics at the church, I've had a hard time getting up to run, but I've tried to do it at least twice a week. Yesterday I ran the 1.5 mile loop in my neighborhood in 18 minutes WOOHOO!! So that is quite an accomplishment. I also ended my 4 week sugar fast on September 15th. That was fun. I've enjoyed way too many sweets since then and I'm contemplating doing another one before Halloween, but I'm just not committed yet (at least not until the Dove is all gone). But all this attention to exercise and eating better has already paid off. I am, today, wearing a pair of pants I bought this summer that I could barely button. They are comfortably buttoned as I type this!

We are planning a trip to the beach with some friends in a couple of weeks. I am sooo looking forward to this even more so now that I know Nate will be interviewing most of the days before we leave. Abby is excited and Iris just doesn't know what to think. I'm sure when she has sand all up in her diaper parts, she'll have an opinion!

So here are some pictures for you to enjoy. There aren't many because I haven't taken many lately. I need to take more of Abby. She's sadly misrepresented... I'm the only one with less pictures of myself and that's because I'm taking them. I hope you have enjoyed this chapter in our saga of life. If just one person is entertained by our recent traumas, then it makes them almost worth it.. almost!

Iris giving herself a breathing treatment

Abby stepping in for a picture

Iris playing around at Lowe's

Iris visited the nursery on Sunday (she isn't quite 18 months, but with General and Stake Conferences coming up, I wanted to introduce her to the class)

I just wanted to give Nate the credit for taking the beautiful butterfly picture. This guy hung around a bush just off our back porch for a long time.

11 comments:

theloulie said...

Hang in there, love ya, nice butterfly picture!

Anonymous said...

Ugh, the SS office is a nightmare! Glad you won and got your application processed so you didn't have to go back! Poor Iris, I know a little boy about her age that has had his arm dislocated a few times and they said it's common in kids that age!

Verity said...

Now I feel like going out and buying a bag of something yummy, too. And kudos for using the word menstrual--you're brave, and, hey, now I feel brave, too. ;)

Team Draughon said...

I too love those little Dove chocolates, although sometimes I tear into them too quickly and the message gets torn

n8'swife said...

Awesome butterfly picture!! I HATE the SS office! Only crabby people work there (sorry to any SS office employees reading thin!)

If you go the helmet route, I want to see pictures!

turning about said...

I so can relate with the SS office, what a pain. I sure wish I would have thought of buying chocolate after. Sad thing is Tyler destroyed his Birth Certifate accidentally with a paper cutter when we registered him for kindergarten, so know I have to deal with that. EEK!

Rachel Harlin said...

Iris sounds a lot like Seryn. She falls off things, trips, or gets mad, forgets to breathe and passes out momentarily. (Falling over, creating more bruses.) She also nearly choked to death on a grape a couple weeks ago. I'm sure if they get you for abuse, I'm right above you. (So I'll look for you in the slammer.) I don't know what it is about this kid, but if I live through her, it will be amazing!

Rachel said...

I LOVE Dove chocolate. I rely on chocolate therapy way too much. That's all I have to say...

mytee sooperox said...

I am so impressed that you only ate five! After a day like that I would have eaten the whole bag in one sitting without even blinking an eye!

Did I mention that I'm addicted to chocolate?

OUR HOUSE said...

The SS office makes me want to cry. I have lost Alex's SS card, and I'm putting of the trip to the office as long as possible. What a nightmare.

Audrey said...

I loved this post. The imagery I get of you reading/eating this chocolate then coming up with hilarious answers as your driving cracks me up. You must have been laughing out loud in the van. SS office sounds awful but you are quite a women to stand up to those southern ladies. That takes guts...or a screaming 18 month old to send you near a nervous break down to muster the courage to tell those ladies who's boss. That was a long sentence.