Have you ever played this with your kids? Chances are they play it with you numerous times a day, and you don't even know that you can play to. I feel like I'm sharing trade secrets, but I'll take the risk.
My girls, Abby in particular, love to ignore everyone. She loves people to repeat themselves numerous times before she responds (if she responds at all). If you didn't know any better, you'd think that she was losing her hearing like she did 3 years ago. And no matter how loud I gradually get to try and get her attention, she just keeps staring off or doing whatever it is she wants to do. It would be admirable if it wasn't so frustrating! But something she can hear even in a near whisper are these few words, "Oh so I guess we are playing the ignoring game."
Let me tell you something... the reaction I get is so predictable, but always entertaining: "NO, MOM! NO! I DON'T WANT TO PLAY THE IGNORING GAME! MOM!! MOM!! MOM!! I SAID I DON'T WANT TO PLAY THE IGNORING GAME! MOM!! MOM!! PLEASE TALK TO ME MOM!! PLEASE DON'T IGNORE ME!! MOM!! MOM!! MOM!! MOM!! MOM!! MOM!! MMMMMOOOOOMMMM!"
Funny, right? So here is how you play. It's pretty simple really. When you notice your kids aren't listening or responding to your many requests, then say in a soft but firm voice, "Oh, so I guess we are playing the ignoring game." Then button your lip and ignore your child. Ignore them for as long as you think it necessary to get the point across. The great thing about this game is that there is unlimited play! You can play it all day long if you want. You can play it anywhere too. There is one glitch I haven't been able to fix, at least with my Abby. She seems to understand for that incident, but begins a new game the next time she wants to keep doing something and I want her to do something else. However, I just say those few magic words and she snaps right back to attention. I'm hoping one of these days all this practice will pay off!
So go enjoy the game! You are guaranteed to have some fun with it! The kids? Well, whoever said all games should be fun for kids?
January 2019
7 years ago


5 comments:
*like!*
A friend of a friend said that when she was growing up it would drive her crazy (especially as a teen)that her mother refused to argue with her or fight with her. Her mother could keep quiet and in control while her daughter pushed all the buttons. I'm striving to acheive a touch of that discipline. I call it the ignoring game.
I absolutely love this. Awesome.
Wow - that's awesome!! I need to try this!
Amy! I'm just putting off chores and thought I'd check some blogs that I haven't checked in ages. I'm so glad I did. I LOVE this idea! You're a genius. Hope all is well in Utah!
Post a Comment