Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mental Picture

So I had one of those moments again today.  You know, the one where you take a deep breath and really focus on the image in front of you so that you can remember things just the way they are.  I didn't have my camera handy, so I took a mental picture and decided to record it on my blog.

Picture this:

Two girls, one 8 1/2 and one 3 weeks shy of 4 years old, sisters, enjoying a beautiful 70 degree day outside.  The 8 year old is on her scooter riding down the street, in the gutter, keeping watch that she doesn't go any faster than her sister.  The almost 4 year old pedaling determinately down the sidewalk, on her little training wheeled bike trying hard to keep up.  Both wearing helmets and not even fussing about it.  Both wearing smiles as they glance at each other, then to where they are going, then each other again, repeating this pattern almost mechanically.  I could see the leaves in the trees swaying a little and the birds chirping promises of many more days like this.

I actually said to myself that this is the moment to stop time, to realize what blessings we have in this image alone: Peace, love, sisterhood, family, beautiful weather, freedom, happiness, safety, togetherness, heart and FUN!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Like" :)

Cindy said...

You just have to hold on to those moments, don't you!

The Coxes said...

What a sweet moment. We miss you guys.

Lindsay said...

Oh - so sweet. I think my very favorite part of being a mother is seeing the sweet sibling interactions. :) Glad you stopped to enjoy it.

Verity said...

Love it--I'm trying harder to capture those "moments," too, but it's easy to get caught up in busy-ness!

Rachel Harlin said...

I LOVE moments like that!!!