I know that my title probably stuns many of you who know that Nate and I are Republicans. I knew that it was only a matter of time before public school began to fill Abby's head with all kinds of blasphemes nonsense. So a few weeks ago Abby came home from school telling me that she was voting for Obama. Here is how the conversation went:
Abby: "I'm voting for Obama for President. He's going to win"
Me: "Why are you voting for him?"
Abby: "Because I like him."
Me: "Why?"
Abby: "Because I am voting for him."
Me: "Why?"
Abby: "Because I want him to win."
So you see where this is going. It took every bit of my will power not to lash out at her with all the issues related to him if he is president... I mean, she wouldn't understand it and maybe she'd go back and spew this to her classmates and it could get ugly. So I just smiled and thought (it's a good thing they don't let 6 year olds vote... and then an errant thought-- or drive). So I let her go around the house for a few weeks skipping and hopping and talking about how great Obama is without comment from me except, "I see." And she would ask me who I was voting for and I'd say I didn't know yet and she would say, "You should vote for Obama!" To which I would say no thank you.
Well today in the car, on the way to school she and her friend Trent (with whom we carpool-- nice grammar isn't it!) and Abby says something about how everyone will vote tomorrow and we'll know who is the President and how she wants Obama to win. Here's the conversation:
Abby: "We will know who the President is tomorrow... I want Obama to win."
Trent: "Oh ya Barrack Obama"
Abby: "No, Trent, his name is just Obama."
Mommy from the front seat: "Abby, actually his whole name is Barrack Obama."
Abby: "Oh ya, I know. YAY FOR ROCK OBAMA! ROCK OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!!"
Trent and Abby chanting: "ROCK OBAMA, ROCK OBAMA!!"
Oh, kids... sometimes they say the craziest things...
She is so confident in her choice for Obama that she wasn't even disappointed when I voted and she asked who I voted for and I quoted Nate's answer to the same question, "the other guy". Of course when I was flipping through channels the other day and paused on football, she wanted to root for Georgia who had 3 points instead of Florida who had 35 points. When I told her Georgia wasn't going to win, she asked why and I explained that Florida had a bunch more points and the game was almost over. She quickly changed her mind and wanted Florida to win. She NEVER wants to root for a losing team! So maybe someone shared the latest polls with her. Either way, we are a house divided, but it's never been more entertaining!
January 2019
7 years ago


8 comments:
Kids are so funny. Do you think it's the teachers at school or the other students that are talking about the election so much? I see you got your countdown for Darcy's visit up...nice.
Hmmm, maybe a little worried about what they're teaching the kids in school? Good luck tomorrow, she'll be insufferable if he does win!
My kids are dying to know who I'm going to vote for--and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to tell them!
I remember back when my girls were that young. They were a hoot! :)
~Micah aka. BigDaddy
I think you need to teach her a new chant!! Too Funny!
Just had to tell you--one of my little kids came running in and said "did you hear?" I asked what, and he said "Rock Obama won!" So it wasn't just Abby...
Don't worry too much Amy-- in my elementary school, I voted for Reagan (that's right, me!)-- probably to my parents' chagrin. I can even remember having a conversation a lot like yours! I think it's just good for them to get excited about the process.
Ironically, I think that if you had a conversation with a large majority of young people who actually were old enough to vote for Obama, the conversation would pretty much sound the same as the one you had with Abby. Kids are kids, whether they are 6 or 18. They don't base their decisions on logic or knowledge, just what's popular.
Post a Comment