Okay, well I thought I'd jump on the thankful bandwagon and post about what I am thankful for. There is the usual: family, friends, a home etc. But I just wanted to explain a little about why I am so grateful for my life.
I'm the 4th of 5 kids. I grew up in a home split by divorce. My mother raised us the best she could. She worked full time making little over minimum wage. My dad didn't always pay child support. But my mom never went on public assistance. She just scrimped and saved. If money was spent it was to feed us, clothe us or shelter us. She never spent money on herself. She rarely went out. She drove an old beat up car for years. Then when it died, she bought another old car that was driven into the ground. I never felt deprived of anything (except maybe sugar cereal... that was a luxury). I always felt safe and loved by her. And she taught me about the importance of getting an education and being able to take care of myself. My mom got sick when I was in high school and had to stop working. But she still takes care of everyone else before herself. Today, I'm grateful for my mom. I'm grateful that she is alive, that I just talked to her today. I'm even grateful she begged me to come home for Christmas, like she does every year. She'll never give up on letting me know how much I mean to her.
My parents were married for 10 years. Until I met my friend Sandy, I figured marriages didn't last long. I figured it was typical for a marriage to end leaving a woman alone to raise kids. I figured it was only a matter of time before her marriage ended too. Then she had three beautiful kids, and her marriage kept getting stronger and stronger. I watched her grow in her faith and teach her children to love the Lord. I watched as they built a home and life together. She gave me such hope about marriage. She and her husband probably would never know how much I pattern my life after theirs. Today, I'm grateful for Sandy and the unconditional love she gave me and the example she was to me in my life.
My siblings are a pain in the butt sometimes. If there isn't one in rehab, there's one fighting with their spouse. If one isn't short on money, the other one is blowing it on weekend trips to Sturgis. They all had kids before me. And I watched as each one changed from a selfish person to a parent. I watched as they played with their kids, laughed at their jokes and disciplined them with love. They may carry a lot of scars from growing up, but they try their hardest to give their kids a life we only imagined. Today, I'm grateful for my siblings and the trials they overcome and the opportunity I have to love them, pray for them and feel their love and prayers right back.
I have a lot of friends. Everywhere I've lived in my life, I've met spectacular people. So many have held my hands through the pain of loss. Some have grown with me from crazy adolescents to maturity. Some have moved away, some I've moved away from. But they keep me a part of their lives. I get pictures on email, or read their blogs. I get Christmas cards and visits when I'm near by. I've been influenced and bettered because of my friends. Today, I'm grateful for my friends. For the ones I've known over 15 years and the ones I've met most recently. Friends are the spice of life, and my spice rack is over flowing.
I have a husband who chooses every day to love me. He puts up with my crazy obsessions and he makes me apart of his experiences. He knows when I'm sad and gives me a hug. He knows when I need a kick in the pants too, and I'm grateful for his motivation. He loves me when my face breaks out in pimples, and he loves me when I laugh at his murmured joke meant only for his own enjoyment. He cooked me dinner on Sunday, even though he stayed home from church, sick. He changed the oil in my car today, and offered to go to the store the day before Thanksgiving because I forgot I didn't have nutmeg. But those are just the little and most recent things. Today, I am grateful for my husband, Nate, for teaching me that marriages can last, that people can love another person more than anything and devote their lives to them. I know no other person on this planet, besides myself, better than I know Nate. And I love that I have eternity to know him better.
I have two precious little girls in my life who are the epitome of God's love. They call me "mommy" and fight over which one gets to sit on my lap. They cuddle with me when they are tired or sick and fight with me when they want their way. They have made me grow in more ways than I've ever thought possible. And they've taught me the true meaning of unconditional love. When I look at them peacefully sleeping, I am comforted to know that they are mine forever. There was a time when I didn't know if I would be a mom in this life. Today, I'm grateful for my little girls. They make me smile and laugh and they frustrate me all at the same time.
I have a Savior who has truly saved me. Eleven years ago, when I found His strength, I found my life. Because of His love and selfless gift I have the life I have today. Because of His church, I have the promise of a great tomorrow! Today, I am grateful for my Savior.
So there you have it. There is also the air to breath, pretty flowers and trees to see and good yummy food that will quickly find it's way to my stomach and then my hips which I am thankful for. But even those things pale in comparison to my family and friends! I am truly blessed.
January 2019
7 years ago


6 comments:
What a lovely post, Amy. You write so beautifully. I can see why you collect friends wherever you go!
Amy, that was wonderful! You made me get a little misty (dab, dab). It's a great time to stop and think about how we've really been blessed. Happy Thanksgiving!
That was a beautiful post and very eloquently stated. You are an easy person to be friends with and I am grateful that I know you!
I am thankful for you too, Amy. I wouldn't have made it through my first year here without you.
I'm all aglow in the warmth of your list Amy. I'm glad that I was in there. It was subtle, but I was in there......right?:)
Amy what a great tribute to your mom! She is a wonderful lady. I think you gave me to much credit but God did bless me when he picked out alittle sister for me!
Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment