The girls are sledding with our neighbor, Paige.
Paulette was the key support behind Anne's decision to place Abby with us. I would venture to say that without Paulette's prayerful witness that Abby belonged with us, we would not have her today. Anne and Paulette were always so great about sending Abby presents and packages for holidays, birthdays and just because. Once we opened up our adoption, they began emailing us and Abby and following Abby's life through my blog. As if this wonderful attention and love weren't enough, they have included Iris in all correspondences and packages and treated her like a part of the family too. I can't even express how much we will miss Paulette.
Paulette loved hearing about Abby and her angst! She often gave me advice about teaching and mothering. She was a teacher for many years, and she raised three children. She was very smart, loving and kind. She was hungry for news of the girls and she never ended a correspondence without asking me to pass a message onto Nate-- she was so proud of him and all that he has done to take care of us. And she often mentioned that he and his priesthood was the reason for them letting Abby go. They knew she needed a mom AND a dad and needed to grow up with the priesthood. He still gets choked up when I mention that.
In the last two years, Paulette has shared stories and pictures of her grandson, who was born to Anne's brother. We have loved getting glimpses of their lives as they have shared glimpses of ours. Before we moved here, we spent a weekend with Anne and Paulette in San Diego. Oh, how precious those couple of days feel. How grateful I am that we were able to see her again and that she could see Abby and meet little Iris.
Paulette also took care of Anne, and they were great friends and room mates. We are very worried about Anne and how she will do now. I am so grateful she has a sister and a brother to help her. It is so hard facing things like this alone. When we told Abby the news, she cried and the first thing she said was, "Who will Anne live with now?" Although she doesn't completely understand everything, Abby's love and thoughts have always been with Anne and Paulette... they were a team.
The funeral will be on Saturday, and Anne has asked Abby to write down what she remembers and loves about Paulette. I thought I'd share since little children have such a way with sentiments and are so close to the spirit.
About Grandma Paulette, from Abby:
I am very sad that Grandma Paulette died. I know that she loved me because she sent me lots of presents and we talked on the phone and emailed each other. When I got an email from Paulette, I felt that she loved me and she wanted to know about my life. When I think about Grandma Paulette, I think about her as a friend, that she would always be with me, that she wanted to see me. I loved being with her when I saw her in San Diego. I remember she was really happy to see me again.
It makes me happy that Paulette helped Anne find a family for me. Sometimes I wish that I was still with them, but I'm happy with my family. I'm glad that she helped Anne with things that she needed to do when she needed help.
Grandma Paulette makes me feel at home when I remember her. When I think about Grandma Paulette I think she was nice to me and made Anne feel at home too.
I will really miss Grandma Paulette.
Love, Abby
So this post is for you, Paulette. We are a little late with the pictures, but will apologize in person when we meet you on the other side. We love you and miss you.


9 comments:
Amy--what a beautiful tribute. And I'm wishing for a calmer next few weeks for you!
How sweet! I'm sorry for your family's loss Amy.
Geez Amy, you have me crying at my computer!! I'm sure Paulette appreciates the pictures even now.
What a beautiful post Amy. :)
What a great witness to family love and support. Also that the more people to love a child the better.
Love this post, Amy.
Amy - you need a break, girl! Life has not been good to you lately - - - I hope it clears soon. Please let me take Iris for you for a morning or afternoon - Carson would love to play with her, and I'm sure you wouldn't mind a little calmness. :) I'm serious.
This is a beautiful post. I'm sorry for your loss.
What a beautiful post, I'm sorry for your loss.
Post a Comment