Halloween in Utah is interesting.
If it falls on a Sunday, it is understood that trick or treating happens on Saturday night.
It’s kind of nice, actually.
Each child had a class party (one Tuesday and one Thursday), and then there was the Friday night trunk or treat.
Then there was the grocery store Halloween party, the trick or treating at Grandma’s and Grandpa’s nursing home, the Halloweenie Roast with friends and the final cul-de-sac trick or treating.
Do I have to mention that the girls got a lot of candy?
Well, they did!
Abby wanted to be an Egyptian Princess. I wanted her to be a spider witch (which we have the costume for), but because I am such a gracious, kind mother I conceded. I could have bought the costume on Amazon for $16. But NO!!!! I thought I could easily make it for way cheap. I know you are laughing, go ahead, laugh at my naiveté (spell check put in the accent). It turns out; I could make the costume for $26 (if you don’t count the eyeliner… which was a few more dollars). Fortunately, Iris wanted to be Cinderella and we borrowed that costume. The girls both adored their costumes and loved dressing up. They both looked gorgeous too, as always. And I just had to smile at how much fun they had!
The end of our nearly week long festivities came with a phone call that Abby had won the coloring contest which the local grocery store (mentioned above) held. Abby is always winning something. I don’t know how she does it, but she does. Anyway, you would think they’d give her candy (they did) or toys (they didn’t) or a gift certificate for groceries (they didn’t). They gave her a life-sized M&M display! And you will be proud of me. Because I didn’t put my face in a disgusted frown by their obvious attempts to pawn off an old display they have to get rid of disguised as a fun contest prize. Oh no. I just plastered on my best “WOW” smile and asked the clerk through clenched teeth if my 8 year old really just won a large, plastic, M&M on rollers. She didn’t even try to look sympathetic. No, no, she gave me the “better you than me” smile and nodded her pretty little head. And we have a large, plastic M&M on rollers in Abby’s room, and she couldn’t be prouder of her prize. And it is fortunate for all involved that there was a large bag of M&Ms inside of it. And I’m resigned to the fact that there is no good way to subtly get rid of this thing, not like McDonald’s toys or noisy toys or messy toys. Unless I convince Abby it would be a great prize for a game at her next birthday party. Hey, I think I’m onto something here!
 |
| Iris as "Cindawella" |
 |
| The Egyptian Princess aka "Cleapatrick" |
 |
| My Grandpa as a Biker Dude! |
 |
| My Grandma as a Biker Chick! |
 |
| Trick or Treating with our fun cousin Melissa |
 |
| Abby's "Major Award" |
 |
| We are so THRILLED to have it... really! |
2 comments:
Cute costumes!!! Is it just me or does Abby look so much older?! :)
The m & m thing is too funny!
Post a Comment