Monday, January 5, 2009

A little too much gum

So Iris has had an ongoing fascination with my gum. I've caught her snagging a piece and putting it into her mouth. I promptly stick my fingers in there, they promptly get bit, I promptly say "Ouch, Iris don't bite", she promptly thinks "then don't stick your fingers in my mouth", and I get the piece out. Then I tell her, "Now Iris, don't eat mommies gum... it's yucky!". Of course, she doesn't believe me since I'm the idiot who keeps sticking my fingers in her mouth and then yelling when they get bit... I'm not to be trusted. Plus, she obviously tastes the gum when she eats it. She's actually been known to eat it with wrapper included. She will go for it out of my purse, the diaper bag, she knows the exact shelf in the pantry where it lives and also the secret stash in my clutter drawer. She will NOT be dissuaded.

So the other day I noticed she was awfully quiet and I went around the corner to see what she was up to. All I saw was Iris a few feet away from my purse on the floor. When I actually picked up the purse I noticed about 10 or so gum wrappers all over. That's right 10 empty gum wrappers. My sore fingers can tell you that they were NOT in her mouth. Her breath was a pleasant mix of fruit and mint. UGH!!! So now we wait... for this to pass (literally and figuratively). I thought I would pose a question to my readers: What has your child done lately (or ever) that had you sighing in defeat?

13 comments:

Rachel said...

I think the thing I'm noticing lately is Ella's persuasive powers. She can seriously turn a conversation to her favor- if I'm telling her a rule about something she can argue her way out of it, and make me forget what I was saying, and start to doubt myself! I always said I would never let my kids do something like that. Yet another instance where i prove myself wrong. So SOMETIMES I do just sigh and let her win. I think it helps my sanity and her confidence!
Love the gum story- my girls are like gum-chain-chewers. They can go through a pack a day!

Rachel Harlin said...

Ah! Children! Such a delight! Seryn does the same things. Gotta love bein' a mom.

loricjensen said...

I'm glad my kids haven't really discovered gum since I lost my filling to a piece on our househunting trip. I'm sure they'd do what Iris does if I had gum. Stewart's thing is getting any food he can reach out of the pantry and then Whitney helps him open it and they eat it together on the family room rug and leave crumbs. I HATE that! I miss you and love reading your blog. I hope I can see you again in Utah this summer.

theloulie said...

Wow, she's obsessed.

With Simon, its first interpreting the 10 min. oration of his question, and then its trying to figure out how to answer it. Usually I give up and tell him its magic.

ooooo said...

My youngets foster son keeps pulling every stitch of clothing out of the dresser. I have spent hours the past couple of months folding and refolding clothes. Sigh!

Audrey said...

That Iris is a hoot! What things have my kids not done that have made me sigh in defeat. Today Kate insisted upon every trick in the book to get out of her nap. She needed a "cup", "nana", "bed" bread," and a "guy" little alian from toy story. Even after I met all of her needs she refused her nap. ARGG!!

kjha said...

KA likes to empty one drawer while I clean up another, Jane likes to say she's hungry then she won't eat anything, even if she picked her food, Jeffrey is the ultimate button pusher with the most innocent face, and Jack has mastered the phrase, "I didn't know you wanted me to do that!" (like get dressed, pick up his clothes, etc...). There. There's the short list! Fun post by the way :0

THis might get old but my word verification word is waxypets. I think that's funny...

OUR HOUSE said...

Iris sounds so much like Madelyn. If that's the case, good luck, because it only gets worse:) What's really driving me crazy right now is JT's newest and favorite expression, "I forgot". Oh, really? You "forgot" your not supposed to hit your little sister? You "forgot" your supposed to get dressed to go to school? You "forgot" that everything is blurry when you don't wear your glasses? Aaaahhh.

Cindy said...

My 13 year old has me sighing in defeat all the time. And my Rachel--instead of getting less picky about what she eats, she is getting more picky. Ugh!

Verity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Verity said...

Sorry, I had lots of typos in my first attempt. Basically I wanted to say that it must be hard staying mad at Iris--she is so stinkin' cute! :)

Michelle said...

It seems that's all I do anymore...sigh in defeat! Oh, well. There are moments of joy as well, and that's what makes it worth it.

Shelly said...

10!! That is a crazy amount of gum...lol.

I finally updated my blog, come check it out :)