Saturday, January 17, 2009

Spending Days in My Pajamas

Well if you ever want an excuse to walk into walls, throw up at the slightest movement, take medicine that makes you tired and wear pajamas for days in a row... then you must find a way to get Vertigo. I, of course, could do without all of it but the pj wearing. Unfortunately, I was able to experience this very debilitating, slightly embarrassing, but mostly frustrating disorder over the passed few days. I actually am still suffering from it as I type, but as you can see, that won't deter me from blogging. My readers are so very lucky!

So Vertigo is about the oddest experience I've ever had, and believe me I've had some odd experiences. I don't like the feeling of being out of control of my body and balance, and I really don't like being an invalid. The only perks are that I haven't had to clean or cook for a while. The downs sides are numerous but include a very dirty house and charred hamburgers (but I'm not complaining since Nate made them after missing deadlines at school for taking care of me... he is my hero in all this). And I quite possibly could have charred the whole house if allowed to cook in my condition yesterday. So YAY for Nate for being here.

I know you are thinking that I am just not a complainer (well we know the real truth, but thanks for not rolling your eyes--- you didn't roll your eyes did you). So I think that my little, stupid cold last week led to an inner ear infection which in turn, led to Vertigo. It hit me Thursday afternoon, but it was only light-headedness and a little dizziness. I still fully intended on going to book club. Thursday while the girls were getting ready for bed I layed down on the floor and the ceiling and floor ceased to be stable. They wobbled and bent and twirled all the while I was trying to get Iris off my tummy and sit up. That led to EXTREME nausea. So from then on any movement made me sicker and sicker. Luckily Nate showed up very soon after and I was praying to the porcelain god. After that any movement made me hurl. And let me tell you something... fried eggs and toast are not good coming up... come to think of it, nothing is. After this I knew something was really wrong and figured it was vertigo. Nate called our ER doctor neighbor to help Nate give me a blessing. He is so nice... I will sure miss him. Anyway they gave me a good blessing and he explained what vertigo was and encouraged me to see the doctor in the morning.

That we did. That experience was excrutiating and nauseating and I'm just glad it is over. So now I have anti nausea medicine and anti dizziness medicine and an interesting manuever to go through several times a day. It's called the Epley Manuever. And I am able to do it more and more without wanting to throw up, so that is good.

I am just being very careful about how I move and taking things very slowly. I actually resemble an old person when I walk... feet apart grabbing the walls, chairs or whatever to keep me upright. It would be cute and endearing if I wasn't a 32 year old mother of two. Of course that just makes it humerous looking, but no one dares to laugh. You know I asked Nate why this makes people throw up and he said its the same sensation as riding a roller coaster. After having this I will NEVER understand why anyone wants to feel this way on purpose.

So there you have it. My life, is never dull. Just when I think everything is easy going, BAM--- VERTIGO. But I have been the recipient of many blessings from prayers offered from family and friends. And I am so very thankful to my friends here who have helped with the girls, offered to help with the girls and even offered to feed us. I guess I didn't realize how lucky I am to have such great friends. And I'm really glad that Nate had the guts to tell me I should shower last night. You mean after puking the night before, sleeping and watching tv all day in the same clothes for hours at a time I smelled? I'm sure I did and the shower felt great... I didn't even fall out of it! And he was very kind to tell me last night when he slipped into bed that I smelled good! Let's celebrate the little victories, shall we?

Here's a video of the Epley Maneuver in practice:

15 comments:

Kathleen said...

I'm sorry Amy, I had no idea. Another friend of mine had multiple battles with Vertigo, and you could tell because her eyes could not focus on your face. Anyway, I hope it passes quickly!
Talk to ya later,
K

Jules said...

Amy, I love you for taking something so miserable sounding and making it sound almost positive and humorous. You're awesome. And, I hope you're feeing much better.

theloulie said...

Yowza! That sounds miserable. I hope you get better soon. And by the way, I didn't roll my eyes. :)

Audrey said...

I didn't roll my eyes because I truly think you are courageous and a non-complainer. There is no hint of sarcasm in my previous statement! I hope you feel better soon. I think that is the craziest thing I have ever heard of. It's just so random and so debilitating. I love the way you explain it though. I am sure it was/is miserable but the way you write about it, I can't stop giggling. Know that I am laughing with you, not at you...I promise.

Cindy said...

Amy--I am praying for you to restabilize soon because book club just wasn't the same without you!!!

n8'swife said...

Crazy I tell you! The vertigo, not you! I hope that it continues to get better!

Tamara ViAnn said...

Oh I'm so sorry you got that. I got Vertigo for the first time about two years ago. I literally did not leave my bed for three days straight. I remember trying to make it from my bed to the master bath (which is maybe 10 feet away)and I had to lay down on the carpet by the bed to rest because I couldn't even make it that far standing.

I must have been a great sight at my doctors office since I remember balling my eyes out in the waiting room because I was so sick and nauseous.It was horrible.

Hope you get better soon Amy!

Shelly said...

Oh, I hope that today is better than yesterday and that tomorrow is better than today. Get well soon :)

Dean said...

Amy, that is no fun at all. Last semester, we studied the physiology of vertigo a little, and I do not envy you. I hope you get feeling better.

Verity said...

Wow, that is some crazy stuff. I'm sorry! Hope you feel better SOON!!!!!!!

turning about said...

That really sounds like no fun! Hope you are on the mend. I am impressed that you kept up your blog with that.

Rachel said...

Oh yuck- that really sucks. My sister-in-law has this off and on and it is horrible! So sorry- hope this goes away soon. I'm SO glad that you are a die-hard blogger though! Feel better!

Tam said...

I'm glad you're starting to feel better. That sounds horrible!!

And that maneuver. . . looks like torture!

Hopefully this isn't something recurring!!

OUR HOUSE said...

Well that's just the weirdest maneuver I ever saw. I'm glad that you can make us all laugh at your expense, but I'm also sorry for your misery - I've been there and it sucks.

Juli said...

I had no idea it was so bad! I'm glad your feeling better. I guess I should have been reading your blog, not just your Facebook updates!