Sunday, August 23, 2009

A tough experience

So Saturday we had a primary activity at church and Abby had just lost her top front tooth. She was so excited and wanted to show it off to her friend. Her friend was not very nice to Abby, and I spent the day reliving the look of rejection on Abby's face. Last night before bed, I wrote Abby this letter and I'm putting it here because this is my journal and Abby will come across it some day either in the near or distant future.

August 22, 2009
My Dearest Abby,

Today my heart is heavy because I saw one of your friends mistreat you. I watched your face change from pride and elation, as you went to show her your missing tooth, to confusion, rejection and sadness as she pushed you away with harsh words. I do not know why this has affected me except that it makes me realize that you will be facing more and more encounters with harshness as you get older. And there is so much in me that wants to protect you from it. It breaks my heart to know that I can not.

However, what I can do is love you with all my heart and be there to take your hand and comfort you with a hug and kiss. And I can watch in awe as you shrug and go on having fun with the day and life God has given you.

You are so powerfully positive and so amazingly resilient. May you always find that inner strength when the winds of hardship beat down on you. And may you always remember that you are loved beyond measure by the multitudes of people who have ever received your glance and eager smile. May you know that you are a special daughter of God who was given in this life to two parents who wanted you so much that we prayed for days and months and years for you. And may you know in your lifetime the immense love that I felt for you as I struggled to take the sting out of this experience for you. But you will not understand entirely until you are a mother.

I love you so much and I am thankful that you are my daughter. I am always here for you, to hold your hand as you take me on this journey of motherhood.

Love, Mom

10 comments:

turning about said...

It is so hard having to see our kids go through things like that isn't it. Great letter!

Anonymous said...

Poor Abby! There is nothing worse than seeing your child's feelings hurt. You are a great mom :)

n8'swife said...

Did she stop on her toe? I would have! Ok, maybe I wouldn't have, but I would have wanted to!!

Melissa E Photography said...

aw, poor Abby! I love the idea of writing letters to your kids. She'll cherish them!

Anonymous said...

Love this, Amy. I dread those moments when their little hearts get broken. You are a good mom...she will love this...

OUR HOUSE said...

We had a moment like this recently. It sucked. I love that you thought to right Abby a letter.

theloulie said...

Dang it! You made me all teary!

Rachel said...

I loved reading this! I think it hit a nerve with all us moms. Abby IS an amazing little girl.

Christina said...

That brought tears to my eyes! Your a great mom!! Abby is lucky to have you!
Love you!

Lindsay said...

Amy, how beautiful! You are such a great writer - - - you conveyed in words perfectly how a mother would feel in that situation. I hope Abby will always be so resilient...