Sunday, October 4, 2009

Two Sick Girls and a Soccer Game

Well we have been hit with the sick bug this week. Iris had been "complaining" about her ear for a couple of days. She would say, "Mom, my ear, my ear." But that was all. She didn't wake up in the night crying or anything. So I didn't do anything about it until Thursday morning when she woke me up a bit early and said, "Mom, my ear, my ear." I decided that I would call the doctor that morning to get her in.

Not five minutes later Abby came into my room with a very sad face, "Mom, I don't feel good." I asked her what was wrong, "My throat hurts, my head hearts, and my tummy hurts." Abby had a low grade fever, but looked miserable. After learning last year that strep can cause all of these symptoms WITHOUT a high fever, I didn't want to wait four days to get her looked at. It's a good thing I was planning on going to the doctor anyway. So I called and got an appointment for both girls that morning.

The doctor's office had a sign that said, "If your child has these symptoms, please have them wear a mask: Fever [check], sore throat [check], cough[check], runny nose [nope]. So Abby wore this:




Abby's the one with brown hair and a Hannah Montana shirt, in case you couldn't tell.








I put one on Iris too, but that lasted about thirty seconds.

This is what my girls look like when they are both sick and waiting for the doctor:








This was before I told Abby not to have Iris in a choke hold for the picture!










Ah, that's better:)







I have the happiest sick kids in the world. Abby actually LIKES going to the doctor. Iris' reaction can be summed up with one word-- "Meh". She did make the nurse laugh when the nurse asked her to show her how she was feeling and then put up a line of faces from super happy to super sad. Iris, with her big cheek smile, pointed to the super sad face and said, "Dat one". How they expect a two year old to tell them is beyond me. But we did see the doctor and this is what we had:

Iris had an ear infection and got antibiotics and a flu shot (the flu shot is good because I wasn't able to get them into the flu shot clinic until October 20, and Iris is high risk because of her breathing problems, so I was glad she got the shot early). She also got a sweet shiny bandaid which she loved and a sticker which ended up on Mommy's wallet.

Abby's rapid strep test came back negative, she did NOT get a flu shot because she had a fever. But she did get a sticker that is nowhere to be found (I think I threw it away, but I'll never admit that to her).

I will not relay the experience at the pharmacy as I am trying to block it out of my memory... yes it was THAT bad. Let me just say that two sick kids spending one hour at the doctor's and another 45 minutes at the pharmacy does not make mommy a nice person.

Abby seemed to feel better as the day wore on with Tylenol/Ibuprofen doses and a mid day nap. Iris was a trooper taking her antibiotics. Abby really wanted to play at her soccer game that night, but with an afternoon fever spike of 102, I wasn't having that. Since Abby wouldn't be 24hours fever free before school started Friday, and I didn't want to take Iris out to playgroup with a yucky nose and ear infection, we didn't set the alarm on Friday morning.

Abby's fever stayed at bay most of the day on Friday, so we let her play her soccer game on Friday night. BIG MISTAKE!! Oh she played well. She even had a quarter as goalie and made this AWESOME save in which I leaped off the bleachers and jumped up and down shaking my fists in the air and screaming at the top of my lungs! You would have thought she won the olympic gold, but let me tell you that we had just practiced goal keeping in our front yard a few nights before. Anyway, I was so proud of her!





Okay, so this is Abby in her First game, not Friday's game, but I didn't take the camera Friday... because I didn't... that's WHY!! She's the blurry figure in a blue shirt and "matching" black and hot pink shorts. She is blurry from her super fast running skills.




Where was I... oh yes... BIG MISTAKE. So she played fine, kept up, but after the game she was worn out. She started coughing pretty hard and didn't stop all night. Her fever also came back and spiked in the night at 103. So I felt bad that she got worse because we pushed it, but she doesn't regret playing. Of course I refused to let her play her Saturday morning game.

[Did you follow that? She had a game Thursday night, a game Friday night and a game Saturday morning. CRAZY!]

So I am extra grateful that it was Conference Weekend and we didn't have to go anywhere or do anything. We lounged around to watch conference, and the girls had the weekend to recoup. Abby was pretty miserable on Saturday too, but today she has been feeling great and keeping her fever down again. So we'll see if she can go to school tomorrow!

I don't want to end without saying how much I enjoyed listening to the parts of conference that I could. It seems like watching at home is hard because I see all the things around me that need to get done. I haven't figured out how to just totally relax and watch it. With that said I do have a stocked pantry, clean bathrooms and 160 cookies made, plus a wonderful stuffed pepper dinner thrown in there. But what I did hear was powerful. I'm looking forward to reading what I missed online or in the Ensign soon. And I'm hoping to be a little better mother, wife, daughter and friend.

2 comments:

n8'swife said...

I hope they keep getting better. At least they're happy sick kids!

OUR HOUSE said...

Two sick kids are no fun - take care of yourself so you don't get sick too. I'm not sure how to really do that, though. I mean, you're a mom!